The elusive art form of creating the perfect match!
I’m going to share a few little gems here, but don’t forget that tasting and trialing your own pairings is all part of the fun and experience of drinking! My tastes may differ from yours, and hence the post starts with anchovies. Enjoy!
#1 Strong lager + sherry strawberries
Harrington’s Ngahere Gold paired with poached strawberries and anchovy. Just screams out Summer!
- 125g ripe strawberries
- 30ml medium sherry
- 8 white anchovies
- one bottle of strong lager to share
- Slice the strawberries and place in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the sherry and reduce a little (3-4 mins).
- Turn the heat down and add the anchovy. Stir to coat evenly.
- Take off the heat and cool to room temperature before eating. The anchovies turn pink so they look way less intimidating!
P.S. I generally find lagers dull and boring, so I chose a strong lager with sweet, pungent grassy qualities. The sweetness of the strawberry complements this beer while the white anchovy gives a delicate saltiness, so it is crisp and cleansing on the palate.
#2 White IPA + salted toffee cashews
Moa’s Southern Alps is an unusual fusion of Belgian Wit and IPA. I found it paired nicely with the delicate creamy flavour of these scrummy cashews and it brought out the sweet coriander notes in the beer. In fact these nuts will go with basically any beer, so this is an excellent crowd-pleasing match (be warned, it’s hard to stop eating them!)
- one cup of raw cashew nuts
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- some good quality flaky salt
- one bottle of Moa White IPA
- Throw all the ingredients except for the salt and beer into a heavy based frying pan over a medium heat.
- Stir gently until the sugar begins to caramelize (about 5 mins).
- Grab a sheet of baking paper. Once the cashews are coated in gooey brown toffee, lay them out in clusters on the baking paper to cool.
- Once cooled, sprinkle with finely ground salt to taste. Wash them down with beer.