Good George is a Hamilton based brewery that began in a former church. Their belief is that beer “shouldn’t be bland, full of chemicals, mass produced and boring. Nor should it be hard, pretentious or scary.” Amen to that!
Coffee is a daily necessity for me, and Good George’s collaboration with Rocket coffee could easily be a daily indulgence. The flavours in their Coffee IPA are not rich or overpowering; rather they compliment the bitterness of the IPA. It’s a sessionable beer with aromas of grapefruit, pine, coffee, lemon and lime.
I’ve tried this beer on 3 occasions and the best it tasted was alongside this simple satay sauce. The peanut and chilli in the sauce bring out the coffee tones in the beer nicely. Prawns and a garnish of coriander will compliment the lemon and lime flavours of the IPA.
#8 Good George Rocket Coffee IPA + Satay Sauce with Prawn and Vege Kebabs
- olive or peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp sweet soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp good quality crunchy peanut butter
- 200ml coconut milk
- raw prawn tails (marinated in a little sweet soy sauce)
- veges such as kumara and eggplant (whatever you fancy – this recipe can be vegan/vegetarian)
- coriander leaves (optional)
- 1 can (at least) per beer enthusiast of Good George Rocket Coffee IPA
Method for Satay Sauce:
- Finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp oil in a wok and fry the garlic, onion and chilli over a medium heat until the onion is soft. (Use less chilli if you prefer a more mild sauce.)
- Stir in the brown sugar until lightly caramelised.
- Add the soy sauce and peanut butter and stir through.
- Turn down the heat and add coconut milk a little at a time until you achieve your desired consistency.
Best served immediately, but can be reheated with a little extra coconut milk.
Method for Prawn and Vege Kebabs:
- Preheat your oven and roasting tray on grill to 200C. Cut peeled kumara into one inch cubes and rub with salt and olive oil. Grill for 30 mins.
- Cut eggplant into cubes and rub with salt and olive oil. Add to the oven tray with kumara and grill another 10 mins.
- Once veges are nicely browned, remove from the tray and grill the prawn tails (these should be thawed and marinated in a little sweet soy sauce for ideal results) for around 4-5 mins.
- Thread prawn tails and vege cubes onto skewers and top with satay sauce. Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves and serve with Coffee IPA.