I’m not sure if I made a healthier version of popcorn or not, but the addition of kale and seaweed ticks a couple of boxes (vote Green, I love you). I got the kale powder from the health food section of the supermarket, which I accidentally stumbled into while searching for popcorn that didn’t come in a microwave bag. I wanted to make a popcorn mix that wasn’t too heavy and could be an appetizer/light snack before a meal.
It took me a couple of fails before I nailed the perfect beer to go with this one, but as soon as I saw this little silver can with its beaming yellow beacon I knew it was the one. It would be perfect after/during a day at the beach and if you can’t get to the beach then bring the sea to your lips and your hips with this salty seaweed popcorn pairing.
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1/3 cup popping corn
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp kale powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 sheets Yaki Nori (roasted seaweed)
- Pop the corn as per instructions on the packet.
- Mix the salt, kale powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Then cut the seaweed sheets into narrow strips and tear them into pieces. Mix the seaweed pieces into the salt mix, coating them thoroughly.
- Once the popcorn is popped and cooled a little, mix through the salt and kale mix.
- Pair this with Piha Salt Water Gose, although be warned you will probably want more than one can.